The Electrical Engineer assists the Duck River Electric Membership Corporation (DREMC) team with the objective of providing safe, reliable power to members at the lowest possible cost. All projects and analyses will be centrally focused on maintaining or improving one or more of these three critical mission components. The Electrical Engineer provides the technical skills needed for designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining reliable electric service. This position also assists the Vice President of Engineering with long-range planning, designing and commissioning electrical substations, conducting feasibility studies, and general coordination of electrical distribution projects.
- Be able to develop system work plan recommendations and supporting technical studies involving major service projects, system improvements, conversion projects, sectionalizing, and substation improvements.
- Analyzes line extension construction costs, rate structure, and other factors affecting variable and fixed costs to determine operating margins, amortization terms, supplemental line charts, deposits, facilities rental charges, special billing demands, and monthly minimum billing provisions.
- Reviews communications, plans, drawings, and other data received from architects and/or consulting engineers relating to electrical service inquiries, and develops appropriate technical data from field investigations, surveys, calculations, and other necessary activities to properly respond and comply with requested information.
- Advises contract electricians and/or consumer/members regarding short circuit current available at the Cooperative’s supply point of delivery, when requested for large industrial and commercial jobs, other more general requests required in conformity with all relevant procedures, specifications, and applicable codes, regulations, compliance rules, and standards.
- Investigates unusual consumer complaints, circuit voltage complaints, and other problems requiring technical assistance.
- Develops and maintains a thorough working knowledge of the entire DREMC system. Be capable to assist in system restoration after major damage events.
- Directs construction of substation switch structures, fencing, grading, and other general site development, and coordinated/schedules related activities necessary.
- Approves system protection and sectionalizing changes upon request of and consultation with district personnel, where deemed necessary and technically compatible for coordination with overall circuit/substation protection, subject to the approval/authorization of the VP of Engineering.
- Develops substation relay setting change recommendation for coordinating with TVA source-side relay changes, or DREMC load-side circuit sectionalizing changes.
- Develops operating and line switch procedures, related circuit maps one-line diagrams, substation procedures, line and station numbering schemes, and other data for distribution to district personnel in cooperation with Operations.
Education — Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (Power Option preferred) from an accredited program required.
Experience — Minimum five (5) years’ experience in electric utility system distribution or transmission required. Applicable Master’s Degree in Engineering may be substituted for two (2) years of job experience.
Certification/License, etc. — Valid Tennessee Driver’s License or ability to obtain Tennessee driver’s license prior to the first day of employment. Must be eligible and remain insured as a driver by the Cooperative’s group liability policy for the automotive fleet. Professional Engineer (PE) license is preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities — Solid understanding of and proficient experience with one or more traditional utility engineering modeling software packages is required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Engineering
Benefits: DREMC provides a comprehensive program of employee benefits including group medical, dental, vision, employer-sponsored medical clinic, life, and long-term disability insurance programs, defined benefit retirement, and 401K savings plans, tuition reimbursement.
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Qualified candidates should apply at http://www.dremc.com under careers. Candidates must submit a cover letter, resume, and complete application form to be considered.
DREMC does not accept resumes from third-party recruiters. Equal Opportunity Employer EOE/AA M/F/D/V
Post expires at 11:59pm on Monday April 12th, 2021