GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
This is managerial and administrative work in the Starkville Utilities Finance Department. Work involves providing a variety of support in preparing, processing documents, and maintaining accurate procurement record systems. Work also involves participating in all phases of the procurement process, from bid preparation through granting of the award for procurement. Work is reviewed by the Finance Department for the cost-effective and efficient procurement of a wide variety of commodities and services according to municipal ordinances and state law through periodic conferences and review of reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the procurement process and provides advice on the interpretation of the Procurement policy and procedures to resolve business issues and questions.
- Serves as primary contact to utilities departments for the purpose of obtaining purchase order authorization for commodities and services; reviews purchase requisitions for completeness, proper expense codes, contract or purchase order term, appropriate attachments, and compliance with City Code prior to converting to purchase orders.
- Responsible for negotiating, preparing, executing and managing diverse procurements including, but not limited to, contracts/agreements.
- Champions best practice for procurement.
- Identifies and implements improvements to processes, procedures and systems to increase efficiency and effectiveness within the supply chain.
- Oversees the competitive bid process for utilities, including building maintenance and renovations and capital improvement projects.
- Ensures the appropriate terms and conditions are applied in order to best allocate, manage and control risk.
- Ensures a structured schedule is in place to enable adequate contract management and administration.
- Communicates effectively with City department/division staffs and vendors to ensure contracted services comply with contract requirements; and evaluates and reviews contracts on a continuing basis to ensure financial and functional requirements are met.
- Monitors City service contracts; maintains a complete and accurate file of all contract documents pertaining to the execution, implementation, renewals and completion of all contracts administered by the Utility Department; and monitors all contract changes, amendments, or negotiations made between the City and the supplier/service provider.
- Assists and administers annual budget for the Procurement Services Division.
- Performs preventive maintenance. Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Municipal policies and procedures relating to the procurement process.
- State laws relating to the procurement process.
- Various grades and qualities of commodities purchased, and the sources of supply and price trends.
- Internal control procedures; purchasing and procurement and basic bookkeeping principles and practices.
- Computer generated record keeping and reporting systems.
Skills and Ability to:
- Microsoft Excel, Word, and Access and ability to learn new technology systems very quickly and efficiently.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Maintain a variety of operating records and files, and to accurately prepare schedules, charts, customer lists, inventories and reports.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
- Follow Department and City policies and procedures operating with minimum supervision.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Associates Degree in Business or related field, supplemented by two years of college-level course work or training in business administration, purchasing or a related subject; experience in governmental procurement and contract administration.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field.
- Three (3) years of considerable experience in purchasing methods and procedures and procurement.
- Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) Certification; or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) Certification
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess a valid Mississippi Driver’s License and acceptable MVR.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is primarily performed in an office setting. Work requires frequent physical tasks such as sitting, walking over rough surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and lifting containers and debris up to seventy-five pounds in weight. Must be able to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously, work with numerous interruptions, and adjust to changing priorities. Must demonstrate good use of judgment and demonstrate the ability to properly deal with confidential matters. Must use good interpersonal skills.
Post expires at 8:00pm on Monday May 31st, 2021