The 25th Annual Power Play Scholarship Association Golf Tournament is set for September 28 at The Shoals Schoolmaster Course in Muscle Shoals, Ala. Player and team registrations and hotel reservations for The Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa are open through Thursday, September 10. Lodging reservations are available at this link or by calling 800-593-6450 or 256-246-3600 and mentioning block code TVA.
The tournament serves as a primary fundraiser for the Power Play Scholarship Association, which awards grants each year to college-bound children of TVPPA member utilities who have excelled not only in their classrooms, but in their communities as well.
The 2020 Power Play Scholarship honorees and their TVPPA-member affiliations are:
- Abigail Allen, Sevier County Electric System, Sevierville, Tenn.
- Alan Black, Memphis Light, Gas & Water, Memphis, Tenn.
- Anna Craddock, Bristol Tennessee Essential Services, Bristol, Tenn.
- Brea Croslin, Pennyrile RECC, Hopkinsville, Ky.
- Tristian Culver, Scottsboro EPB, Scottsboro, Ala.
- Anna Ruth Doddridge, Northcentral Electric Cooperative, Olive Branch, Miss.
- Sydney Finchum, Greeneville Energy Authority, Greeneville, Tenn.
- Saeri Goins, Volunteer Energy Cooperative, Decatur, Tenn.
- Andrew Goode, Gibson EMC, Trenton, Tenn.
- Caroline Grisham, Alcorn County EPA, Corinth, Miss.
- Gabrielle Gunter, EPB of Chattanooga, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Karlee Hammons, Bolivar Energy Authority, Bolivar, Tenn.
- Alyssa Hampton, Fayetteville Public Utilities, Fayetteville, Tenn.
- Narcissus Hardin, Huntsville Utilities, Huntsville, Ala.
- Addison Harwell, Jackson Energy Authority, Jackson, Tenn.
- Anna Kate Head, Cumberland EMC, Clarksville, Tenn.
- Jacob Howell, Tullahoma Utilities Authority, Tullahoma, Tenn.
- Tanner Jones, Nashville Electric Service, Nashville, Tenn.
- Lauren Massingale, Fort Loudon Electric Cooperative, Vonore, Tenn.
- Elizabeth Miller, Cullman Power Board, Cullman, Ala.
- Mallory Milliken, CDE Lightband, Clarksville, Tenn.
- Asher Morgan, Philadelphia Utilities, Philadelphia, Miss.
- Shiloh Parker, Cleveland Utilities, Cleveland, Tenn.
- Sarah Poplin, Maryville Electric Department, Maryville, Tenn.
- Riley Simmons, Southwest Tennessee EMC, Brownsville, Tenn.
- Marina Smart, West Kentucky RECC, Mayfield, Ky.
- Taylor Smith, Tri-County EMC, Lafayette, Tenn,
- Kailey Snell, Duck River EMC, Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Elijah Tidwell, Middle Tennessee EMC, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Conner Twyman, Bowling Green Municipal Utilities, Bowling Green, Ky.
Including the 2020 awards, the Power Play Scholarship Association has presented 638 scholarships totaling more than $2.4 million since its 1995 inception. Scholarship recipients are chosen by an eight-member selection team of educators from colleges and universities in the Valley and selected based on academic achievement, standardized test scores, leadership qualities, letters of recommendation and written essays.
The association also awards an additional sum to the winner of the Johnny Hayes Memorial Scholarship, named to honor the memory of the late TVA director who founded the Power Play Scholarship program. Tanner Jones of Nashville Electric Service, was this year’s Hayes honoree.