The Systems Operator serves as a member of a team responsible for the safe and efficient management, operation, and restoration of all Knoxville Utilities Board’s (KUB) utility systems. Responsible for correcting electric, gas, water, and wastewater problems by analyzing, prioritizing, and dispatching appropriate personnel in response to customer requests. Responsible for the safety of field personnel by ensuring clear and accurate communication and information of each system event. Capable of advising customers on how to deal with electric, gas, water, and wastewater problems in emergency situations. Prepares daily system reports, work orders, and interruption summaries. Operates various computer systems and support tools, including, but not limited to: customer information (CIS), work management (WMS), outage management (OMS), SCADA, and GIS. Operates equipment safely in the field such as breakers and air-break switches. Coordinates multiple tasks, field crews, and priorities simultaneously on a daily basis in a team-oriented environment. Works on a rotational-shift basis including weekends, nights, holidays, and for extended periods during system events and outages. Ability and willingness to continue education and training to advance through all four operator levels. Performs other tasks and duties as directed.
Note: For more specific information regarding this position, please contact Human Resources.
• Must have high school diploma or equivalent
• Must have one (1) year minimum experience working in a utility, dispatching, and/or customer service environment
• Must have strong customer service skills, including strong written, verbal, interpersonal communication and teamwork skills
• Ability to deal with stressful and difficult situations in a composed and effective manner
• Proficient computer and related software skills
• Valid driver’s license
Must be able to physically operate any high voltage switch on KUB’s electric system which are estimated to require the same physical strength necessary to pull 100 pounds force horizontally. Ability to patrol the various transmission and distribution systems on foot in all types of weather and terrain. Must be able to work in adverse conditions requiring physical exertion.
Note: The physical demands described above are intended to relate the approximate physical demands of the classification. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and/ or exceed those demands described above. Additional information regarding specific positions is available in Human Resources.
• Associates degree in a related technical field
• Two years of utility specific technical training
• Working knowledge of electric, gas, water distribution, and wastewater collection systems
• Professional certification in a utility system operation
• Advanced PC skills, especially with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint)
• Excellent teamwork and leadership skills
• Dispatching and crew management experience
• Proficient use of two-way radio and mobile data communications
To apply for this position, visit KUB’s career center here.”
Post expires at 11:59pm on Monday March 1st, 2021